This is a pretty looking giraffe teether toy named Sophie, manufactured by a French company called Vulli. I had heard so much about this toy that after I got pregnant this was the first item I put on my baby registry and couldn’t wait for my baby to open it. You can imagine that long wait of mine. But I was certainly a bit disappointed for all the hype that was out there. I’ll give you a few reasons to like it and more reasons to reconsider it too. Happy baby toy shopping 🙂
Why I liked it before I opened the box :
- Good looking teether toy
- Very easy for baby to grab and put it in her mouth
- Made of natural rubber and safe for baby to chew on (Though questionable by German standards in Nov 2011. I think there are more details on Wikipedia)
Here’s why I din’t like it after I opened the box : I opened this for my boy when he was 3 or 4 months old and within few days I put it away.
- DUST AND FUR MAGNET: Its body is made of soft flexible rubber that seems to collect mild moisture and so much dust particles and fur on it very quickly. These tiny particles get stuck onto them and takes a bit of an effort each time . Do I blame my carpet? Do I blame my cushion sofa ? No. I think they are meant to be soft and furry. I just don’t understand why Sophie giraffe pulls them out onto her! and really I can’t clean her before everytime my baby wants to play with her!
- SQUEAKER WENT MUTE : I have an older daughter (3 yo) who likes to play in water. She dragged this into her bath along with her bath toys and while the toy came out clean, it also came out muted. Muted till date. Clearly this was not the way to clean.
- WATER TRAPPED INTO ITS BODY : So after that, there was so much water that went into its narrow-hollow body and legs and there was no way to drain it fully. The squeaker hole was in the middle of its body so if turned it upside down the water would rush to its head and not drain through the hole. Finally, it took about a week for me to drain and dry her fully and even then I was not sure! Seriously I’d much rather have a teether toy that I can simply immerse sterilize in hot water every night.
- NO WAY TO STRAP IT TO STROLLER : So if you do decide to take this along with you in your stroller , there’s actually no way your gripper can hold it securely in place. You baby will drop it in a few minutes and you have to put it back in your bag immediately to bring home and clean!
So, Sophie – will not make it to the permanent brood of our other animal toys!
RATING : 6/10
Have you faced any of these problems with this toy ?