This is one of the healthiest foods to come out of my kitchen, yet. Its truly a super pasta!
My kids love it but I honestly don’t know why I finished the title with ‘For kids’. I love this soupy pasta just as much as my daughter does. This dish also has so much for me to disguise the veggies quite cleverly. Finally, sprinkle some cheese over the dish and you’ll only see an empty bowl to clean later. It has loads of veggies. It has pasta and it has cheese – A WIN-WIN dinner for the family.
Here’s the recipe to make this soupy-pasta from scratch. All in – takes about 30 mins to prepare and serve.
You’ll need :
- Tomatoes: 4 , Onion: 1, Garlic : 3 pieces
- Mixed veggies: Approx 2 cups (Carrots, baby corn, mushroom broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc)
- Water: 4 cups
- Cooked pasta: 3- 4 cups
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté Garlic for 30 secs , then add onions and sauté until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and 2 cups water and let it boil for 10 -12 mins (until tomatoes loosen up and peel off).
- Remove the tomatoes and onions using a slotted spoon (or a colander) and let the pulp cool for 10 mins. Using a blender/Mixie make a puree out of it. DO NOT DISCARD the rest of the water water.
- Lightly sautee all your veggies separately and keep aside.
- In a large pan : Pour the tomato puree + its water in a large pan and let it simmer for 5-7 mins. Add the veggies + 2 more cups of water + salt + pepper and let it simmer for 5-6 more mins. – ITS DONE !
TO SERVE : In a soup plate, toss in a cup of pasta and pour some soup along with a scoop of veggies. Top it with cheese for the kids 🙂
- If your kids are picky eaters and wont touch the veggies: Boil and puree the veggies they don’t like separately and add it back into the soup at step #4 instead of whole veggies. You can use up all your left over veggies in the fridge 🙂
- No need to deseed or blanch the tomatoes. Just roughly chop it and throw it into the pan. You’re trying to get your kids to get wholesome food. Don’t discard anything. This is great dish with enough carbs + veggies + nutrition!
- Instead for onions you can use shallots for a greater flavour.
- You can mix some pesto or basil leaves in the end for some aroma.