I love this dish. I also hate this dish as much. I end up finishing half a pot whenever I make this and I hate myself for it. Anyway, if you have trouble with getting your kids to get veggies, you should absolutely try this. If the kids love cheese, they’ll love this! Its homemade – has milk, butter and cheese. Great source of calcium, protein and good fat for the kids !!
You’ll need :
- Butter : 2 tbsp
- Flour : 2 tbsp
- Milk : 1 cup
- Cheese : ½ cup (Cheddar, mozzarella, Gruyere. In fact most type of cheese will work!)
- Croutons and par-boiled veggie platter for the kids
- Mix the flour and ½ cup of milk in a cup and keep it ready.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter for a few seconds and slowly pour in the flour + milk mixture while stirring continuously.
- As it begins to thicken add cheese and keep stirring. When the strands of cheese begin to melt and combine pour the rest of the milk and keep stirring for 5-6 mins on simmer. (Until the mixture is well combined and the fondue starts to bubble and resembles a thick paste). Add a pinch of salt and pepper to season.
- Pour in a wide-mouthed cup and serve with the veggie platter!
Below pic is to show the creamy texture of the fondue.
- For more creamy texture you can substitute ¼ cup of cream instead of ¼ cup of milk.
- If the mixture begin to thicken a lot, add milk and keep stirring. Or if the mixture still runs thin : Mix 1 tpsn of flour to 2 tspns of milk and slowly pour in the saucepam. Keep stirring!
- If you are serving adults, you can sauté chopped garlic in butter before you add the flour paste at step #1
- Keep stirring continuously to avoid small lumps and get a smooth fondue.
Appetizer #3 coming up tomorrow. Bon Appetite!