Rich, creamy and yummy risotto – without wine, cream or cheese!
I have been delaying making a risotto for so long since all the recipes have wine it. I cannot let my kids have it neither can I make two versions for a dinner! But yesterday in some momentary inspiration, I decided to make my own self-invented non-alcoholic version. It is loaded with the goodness of butter beans without any visual traces of it for the kids. It turned out great. It was so gooey and soft that I dint even have to puree it for my 10 months old toothless baby!
- Butter beans : 1 can or 1.5 cups (after being cooked)
- Arborio rice : 2 cups
- Shallots : 2 pieces , Onion : ½ finely sliced, Garlic : 2 cloves
- Water : ~ 7-8 cups
- Salt & pepper
- Blend the cooked beans in a blender and set aside. Add 3-4 tsp of water while blending.
- In a pan wih 2 tsp olive oil : Sautee Garlic (30 secs). Add shallots (40 secs). Add onions (30 secs). Add the rice and lightly fry it (~1min)
- Pour butter bean puree on the rice and stir well. Add 3 cups of water and let it cook slowly. Add pinch of salt to suit your taste. Keep adding ½ to 1 glass of water at a time and wait for it to get absorbed well. Then add next glass and so on until u reach the al dente consistency (which will take About 7-8 glasses of water and ~20 mins+)
- Serve hot, garnished with pepper / seasoning / cheese (for the kids!)
TIPS & NOTES :
- No need to de-skin the beans. That’s good food too!
- Add small amounts of water and keep stirring regularly to avoid the risotto lumping / getting burnt at the bottom of the pan when the water it getting absorbed.
Bon appetite. Happy parenting!